poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Writing html code to xls cell
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:44:00 GMT

The problem - at least to my mind - that you face, is that you wish to place
a rendered copy of the html markup into a cell; and it is the 'rendering'
part of the problem that is the real stumbling block. The only way that I
can think of to accomplish this is to use something like IE or Firefox to
open the html and generate a rendered page, then grab an image and save that
away as a bmp or jpg - I cannot remember which one can be placed onto a
spreadsheet offhand sorry - then you could position the image onto an Excel
spreadsheet. Even then, I do not think that you can guarantee that each
image will occupy a single cell. Furthermore, I think that you will face
just the same sorts of issues with .doc or Rich Text Format files, because
both include the content - the text, tables, pictures, etc - and formatting
information.

Could you not look at modifying what you want to do? I know that it is
possible to place hyperlinks into cells, what I do not know is whether you
could create an icon that sort of resembles the document you want to open,
place that in the cell, mark it as a hyperlink and link to the original file
such that if the user clicks on the icon the file is opened using the
default application for that file type; Word for .doc and .rtf (propably),
IE or Firefox for html files and so on.

Aside from that, I am out of ideas, sorry.