poi-user mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Q: How to check if a Word .doc file is a mail merge master file?
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:59:41 GMT

Hello Christian,

I would guess that the answer to your second question is yes. It is possible
to use HWPF to extract the data from a Word document - in fact Nick has
built a class that does just this and it is called WordExtractor I think. It
returns an array of Strings if I remember correctly and it would not be too
difficult to imagine that you could check the complete set of values
returned and if - only if - that complete set was limited to your 'table
structure' (if I understand that correctly) then the document would pass
your validation test.

To answer your first question, I need to ask another one; what set or
criteria distinguish a mail merge master file from any other document or
document template that could be created using Word? If you are able to
formulate such a list then it would be possible to determine if HWPF could
be used to parse the Word file and determine it's status.