poi-user mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: will POI 3.5 support million data in single worksheet
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:16:42 GMT
The limit for .xls is 2^16 (65535 rows), for .xlsx is 2^20 (1048576 rows).

In theory POI is limited only by the size of your JVM, if it is big enough to fit the data
then you will be able to
generate "big grids". In practice, the maximum limit of heap on 32-bit JVM is 2GB (If you
are using 64-bit JDK then the
possible heap size is much bigger).  2GB is enough to fit approximately 10K or rows, the exact
limit depends on the
row-cell grid density (sparse grids require less memory).

If you generate .xlsx files, then you can stream the data directly in XML. See an example
that demonstrates the idea:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/src/examples/src/org/apache/poi/xssf/usermodel/examples/BigGridDemo.java

Yegor