poi-user mailing list archives

From Skye Shaw <ss...@lucas.cis.temple.edu>
Subject Re: HSSFCell With Formula Errors.
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2008 01:49:37 GMT
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Pierre Lavignotte wrote:
> I don't think that :
> HSSFFormulaEvaluator.CellValue v = fe.evaluate(cell)
> is ugly....
>
> It's the right way to evaluate a cell formula.

It's ugly because in order to get the cell's value I have to check
HSSFCell's type, then, if it's a formula, I have to check
HSSFFormulaEvaluator.CellValue's type against the same set of conditions
(almost) I've just applied to HSSFCell:

String getStringFromCell(HSSFCell cell)
{
String val = cell.toString();
if(cell.getCellType()==HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_NUMERIC) {
 	    short i = cell.getCellStyle().getDataFormat();
 	    String format = cellFormat.getFormat(i);
 	    if(HSSFDateUtil.isADateFormat((int)i,format)) {
 		//date stuff
 	    }
}
else if(cell.getCellType()==HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_FORMULA) {
   HSSFFormulaEvaluator.CellValue v = fe.evaluate(cell);
//Now recheck the type of HSSFFormulaEvaluator.CellValue
}
         return val;
  }

Well, I shouldn't say have -as there are alternatives, (not
evaluateInCell(HSSFCell cell) as that has problems; see earlier email)
though it seems to me that the public interface to HSSFCell is broken.

Maybe it's just my limited experience with POI, or maybe I'm just
confused, though it appears that HSSFCell already knows the result of its
formula upon construction, its already been evaluated. Yet I still have
to use the formula evaluator to re "evaluate"- to tell me the state of the
object, when the object (seems) to expose public methods for such
inquiries?

Namely getCachedFormulaResultType().

Unfortunately this method raises an exception when called on a numeric
cell:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Exception in
thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot get a text value
from a numeric formula cell at
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFCell.typeMismatch(HSSFCell.java:625)

Get a text value? I just wanted the integer result type, why do I care
that about getting a text value from a numeric formula cell, I wanted an
integer representing the CachedFormulaResultType.

I could go on, but I might be on the wrong track.

Thanks,
Skye