poi-user mailing list archives

From "Knudsen, Joe" <Joe.Knud...@state.mn.us>
Subject RE: green corner in a cell warning about a number formatted as text
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:03:57 GMT
Andrew,
I am testing using Excel 2003.  And I seem to get the warning whether I
have leading or trailing blanks or begin with an apostrophe.  I will
take a look at other version(s) I believe I have a copy of Office 2000
also.  But thanks for the ideas.

Joe Knudsen

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Andrews [mailto:pythonaddict@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:49 AM
To: POI Users List
Subject: RE: green corner in a cell warning about a number formatted as
text

Off topic I know but I found this interesting - Microsoft introducing
yet another bug into an existing product - so I did a bit more digging
and found a few interesting options that may help. Somewhere, I say it
suggested that the xml file format has an extra element that makes it
possible to say treat the cell contents as text even though it contains
a number. If I find that same page again, I will post a link to it.
Furthermore, one of the responders to the list suggested that adding a
trailing whitespace to the numeric value before inserting it into the
cell may cure the problem. Cannot say if it works or not as I have not
tested it yet.

Finally, the leading apostrophe works in earlier versions of Excel. Then
the application - Excel that it - simply assumed - if a numeric value
was entered into a text cell - that it should format the value in a
specific way. The leading apostrophe simply over-rode this behaviour.