poi-user mailing list archives

From Garibaldi <Thorsten.J...@helmholtz-hzi.de>
Subject Why does a 200kb file grow to large for excel?
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:53:59 GMT

Greetings to all and everyone.

I have a rather baffling problem at the moment using HSSF to generate a new
Excel .xls file. Generating the file and opening it in Excel worked fine,
until I decided to write some additional characters into an allready
existing cell, Excel won't open the small file afterwards. I did some
testing, adding information to new cells, and Excel refuses to open these
new versions as well. If i simply comment the line that generates the new
cell, or switch the line that provides new information for a previously
existing one, excel complies and opens the file. but adding as much as 7
letters in round about 800 Cells breaks it.
And I see no error message whatsoever =(

The attributes of the file:
200kb in size, around 1.500 rows, 10 columns, 10 fonts(generated once at
object construction), 1 style.

Again: Writing the file works, until I supply additional strings to new or
existing RichStringText formatted Cells.

I'd be very gratefull If anyone has any ideas what is breaking my code.

Best Regards
Thorsten