poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: Memory Limitations (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:04:51 GMT
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Mangrich, Mark V Mr CTR USA HRC wrote:
> How do I create and write a large HSSFWorkbook file without running out
> of memory.  When creating a HSSFWorkbook all the sheets, rows and cells
> appear to be stored in memory.  After a while, if we don't incrementally
> stream portions to disk, will we run out of memory?

You need to give your app server more memory, that's the only solution :/

Alas the .xls file format isn't well designed for streaming, as lots of
things reference other bits of the file. So far everyone's always found it
cheaper to buy more memory for their servers than do loads of poi work to
reduce the memory footprint, so no large work to reduce the memory use has
ever been sponsored :(

Nick