poi-user mailing list archives

From Anthony Andrews <pythonadd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Spreadsheet w/o writing file out
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:34:41 GMT
No, HSSF is an api that you use to read/write files, it is not a way to 'automate' Excel itself
as I am guessing you want to do.

Why not look at Excel itself for this process? Remember that it is possible to 'program' Excel
- VBA I know which is not nice. Failing that, the language Python has a windows API that may
allow you to control Excel programatically (assuming you are running on Windows of course)
and there are ways to control Excel from Java (OLE control of an application is possible but
again only under Windows). Finally, there may be a commercial product that allows you this
sort of control.

--- On Tue, 7/22/08, Peters,Shawn <Shawn.Peters@Cerner.com> wrote:
From: Peters,Shawn <Shawn.Peters@Cerner.com>
Subject: Spreadsheet w/o writing file out
To: user@poi.apache.org
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008, 1:51 PM

I am currently looking at POI as a solution for opening some CSV files into
Microsoft Excel. What we want to do is to hand off the CSV data (pulled from a
database as a blob) to our newly created spreadsheet and then open the Excel
application all in memory without writing the spreadsheet out to the file
system.  Is this possible with POI or do I need to use the file system?

Thanks,
Shawn

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from
Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information
contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or
non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws.
Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such
information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the
addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the
delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in
Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.