poi-user mailing list archives

From Dean Schulze <dean_w_schu...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Converting JSP that outputs CSV to HSSF gives no output
Date Wed, 28 May 2008 15:46:13 GMT

David Fisher <dfisher <at> jmlafferty.com> writes:

> Dean,
>
> Excel is a very exact and binary format.
>
> You must put out no whitespace from your JSP (I recommend using a
> servlet, but..)
>
> Change the top part to this:
>
> <%@ page language="java"
> %><%@ page
> import
> ="java.util.*,java.io.OutputStream,org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.*"
> %><%
>
> And make sure you don't have a trailing blank after the final %>
>
> Regards,
> Dave

David,

Thanks for your response, but after doing what you recommend I still get no
output.  View Page Source shows nothing, but when I look at it with Firefox Web
tools it shows

<head/>
<pre/>

The HSSF docs don't mention using HSSF in a JSP so maybe HSSF is incompatible
with JSPs.

I'm going to take a look at using the Excel XML format and see if that works.

CSV works, but it produces unformatted output.