poi-user mailing list archives

From Andy Chien <hsiangan.ch...@utoronto.ca>
Subject Re: Blank Cells
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:22:21 GMT
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong or mistaken.

The cell form representation you see in Microsoft Excel is not the true
physical representation _on_file_. POI works directly _on_xls_file_,
this is where I think you are getting the mixed up.

In xls file format, cell is not created unless it has been used or
contains something. That is why you are not seeing a full 22 cells
because the blank cells are simply not present!! Please note the
difference from the Microsoft Excel graphical representation, which puts
things in the location (causing blank cell).

p.s. If you think about it closely, why waste the data structure storing
blank cells?

Now that the theoretical piece is done, if you are using the usermodel
the way that you can get the last of anything is the follow.

http://poi.apache.org/apidocs/index.html

 From HSSFSheet lookup function that says getLastRowNum() to get last
row in a sheet
 From HSSFRow lookup function that says getLastCellNum() to get last
cell in a row

To find out whether if the cells are empty do a loop through the area
that's less than getLastRowNum() or getLastCellNum() if any return
"null" then they are of type CELL_BLANK.

Hope this helps.

Andy