poi-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject HSSF: Middle-ground API for reading an Excel spreadsheet
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:22:25 GMT
Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone had experimented with doing lazy parsing via the
eventusermodel interface.  I've had an attempt at it myself but am running
into various troubles.

The first one which is really problematic is that once I get a FormulaRecord,
I can't find a way to convert that into the formula string.  Thankfully
getting the value result is relatively simple.

Have the HSSF developers considered making an API half way between usermodel
and eventusermodel, which can return HSSFCell instances one at a time without
instantiating the entire spreadsheet?  It would be a really nice thing for
saving memory.  (Although an implementation of the records which doesn't
create copies of everything in memory would probably solve the memory
problems almost as well.)

Daniel