poi-user mailing list archives

From Anthony Andrews <pythonadd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Create chart in Excel and export the image to PPT
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2007 10:20:49 GMT
Just read the last section of that message back and it does not make sense, sorry.

The two options are to link to the file - when you will see any changes made reflected in
the Powerpoint document and to embed the .xls file when you will not see any changes made
reflected. Sorry about the mistake.

Anthony Andrews <pythonaddict@yahoo.com> wrote: You do not use POI at all for this,
just the two Office products.

I have to say that I do not know if PowerPoint supports this type of funtionality but I would
be very surprised if it did not because MS were one of the innovators behind OLE.

Anyway, you will do something like this;

Create the chart using Excel and save the .xls file away somewhere - remembering where of
course.
Create the PowerPoint presentation and at the place you wish to see the Excel chart insert
an object that you will create from that Excel .xls file. I do not have PowerPoint on this
PC and con only say what you would do using Word for example; that process is; Click on the
Insert menu in the MenuBar, from the drop down menu, select Object and then one the pop up
that is displayed select Create from file. Now simply navigate your way to that .xls file
you saved.

There are usually two option, to inert the object or to embed it. If you insert the object
you will not see any changes you may subsequently make reflected in the PowerPoint slide.
If you embed it the you will see changes reflected.

Have a look at this link;

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa168127(office.11).aspx

It looks at some of the problems you may encounter if you choose to follow this suggestion.

Rushabh_Raval@external.mckinsey.com wrote: Hi,

And how would I achieve that?

How do I save the chart in Excel as an object using POI?
How do I embed that object in powerpoint using POI?

Thanks & Regards,
Rushabh Raval

Anthony Andrews

11/08/2007 06:23 PM
Please respond to
"POI Users List"

POI Users List
cc

Subject
Re: Create chart in Excel and export the image to PPT

I know this probably sounds old fashioned, but would it not be possible to
use OLE - could you simply embed the Excel chart as an object into the PPT
slide?

Yegor Kozlov  wrote: Hi,

> 1. Create chart using Excel.
> 2. Export the chart to PPT slide as an image.

To link steps 1 and 2 you need to convert the Excel chart into an
image. Unfortunately there is no way in POI to export/render Excel
charts into images.

Regards,
Yegor

http://mail.yahoo.com

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.