poi-user mailing list archives

From victorbelo <victorb...@hotmail.com>
Subject Breaking up workbook in byte chunks
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2007 01:36:24 GMT

I'm using POI in a reporting application, which several users can produce
large workbooks (30 columns with 2 worksheet each with up to 60,000 rows).
I'm currently chopping the output significantly due to memory limitations.
I need to use POI (or JExcel) to produce chunks of a workbook at a time
(let's say 5MB at a time) in order to limit memory usage and avoid
OutOfMemory errors. These chunks would be saved to the database into
multiple blobs, and later streamed back piece by piece when the workbook is
downloaded. My first thought was to use the getBytes method from the
workbook class, save to a blob when > 5MB, then create a new workbook, and
repeat the process. I'm not sure if all pieces streamed together would still
able to produce a workbook.

I checked several options in the API, but I was not able to find any other
solutions. Anyone has ever implemented something similar? Any good ideas to
accomplish this with POI?