poi-user mailing list archives

From thomas908 <anshulkayas...@hcl.in>
Subject Set character formatting in Excel using POI
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:11:00 GMT

I want to set some values in the excel sheet using POI. These values must
have the required character formatting like bold, italics and underline.

Say, the value that I need to set in some cell in the excel could be
something like

italics plain boldItalics allThree<u> plain</u>

Whatever is there inside
.. should be set as italics
.. should be set as bold
<u>..</u> should be set as underline

I was trying to set this formatting by harcoding the indexes (for the time
being) using the following code

String str="italics plain boldItalics allThree<u> plain</u>";

      HSSFWorkbook wb;

      void func()
      {
             try{
                      File writeXcel=new File("C:/newOUT.xls");
                        FileOutputStream fileOut = new
FileOutputStream(writeXcel);
                        wb=new HSSFWorkbook();
                        HSSFSheet sheet=wb.createSheet("Sheet 1");
                        HSSFRow row=sheet.createRow(0);
                        HSSFCell cell=row.createCell((short)0);

                        HSSFRichTextString rts=new HSSFRichTextString(str);
                        HSSFFont font=wb.createFont();

                        font.setItalic(true);
                        font.setUnderline((byte)1);
                        font.setBoldweight((short)700);
                        rts.applyFont(0,5,font);

                        font.setItalic(false);
                        font.setUnderline((byte)0);
                        font.setBoldweight((short)400);
                        rts.applyFont(6,11,font);

                        font.setItalic(false);
                        font.setUnderline((byte)0);
                        font.setBoldweight((short)700);
                        rts.applyFont(12,16,font);

                        cell.setCellValue(rts);
                        wb.write(fileOut);
                        fileOut.close();
             }catch(Exception e) {
                  e.printStackTrace();
             }

      }

But it seems it cannot be done, once the font is set it is set for
everything.
Can someone please tell me how to resolve this.
Thank You