poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: HSSFCell.getRichStringCellValue() doesnt read properly Greek Polytonic characters
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:42:32 GMT
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Filippos Papadopoulos wrote:
> i am using POI 3.0.1-FINAL-20070705 and i am trying to read polytonic
> Greek words written inside Excel cells. I use the following code to
> print each cell. The problem is that although getRichStringCellValue()
> reads perfectly modern Greek, it renders as '?' the Greek polytonic
> characters (which have accents). Am i doing something wrong, or is this
> a known problem?

It looks like you're using System.out to print out your characters. I have
a feeling that if the terminal your displaying into doesn't support some
sort of unicode (eg utf8 or utf16), then you'll get question marks.

You may wish to force your terminal to utf8, and make sure java knows
you've done that, before trying again

Nick