poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re[2]: Encryption/password protected excel/word files
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:52:22 GMT
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> I wonder if Microsoft uses encryption compatible with javax.crypto.*. If
> yes, we have a chance to decode it. Otherwise it is not worth the
> trouble.

I don't think they do. For PPT, there's a choice of about 10 different
encryption options, almost all of which have very similar names, and most
of them have Microsoft somewhere in their name...

I think that supporting encrypting / decrypting the files is not going to
be possible. However, we might be able to detect encrypted files (as we do
for ppt), but it'll take some work.

Nick