poi-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Swensen <jeff.swen...@merrillcorp.com>
Subject Re: POI-Ruby
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:38:25 GMT
I'm working on getting the SWIG included version running.  I had to edit
the Makefile to set some paths (GCJ_HOME, SWIG) to point to the
compatible versions and everything compiles correctly.  The problem is:

irb(main):001:0> require 'release/poi4r'
LoadError: libgcj.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory - /home/jswensen/poi/trunk/src/contrib/poi-ruby/release/poi4r.so
        from /home/jswensen/poi/trunk/src/contrib/poi-ruby/release/poi4r.so
        from (irb):1

I have the path to libgcj.so.7 included in my RUBYLIB variable so I'm at
a loss for what the issue is.  Any ideas?

Jeff Swensen wrote:
> I am attempting to write my own C wrapper for the POI Ruby bindings and
> am looking for some guidance.  I compiled poi4r using the swig wrapper
> only to result in a segfault which I'm unable to track down.  It also
> seems that swig generates a lot of unnecessary bloat while creating the
> wrapper, which is why I decided to try to replace it with my own version
> (also partly due to some feedback from my boss who seems to dislike swig
> quite a bit).
>
> Are there any resources you could point me to for writing the ruby
> interface?  I understand that at the most basic level I need to define
> all of the Java classes and public methods, but after that I'm at a
> loss.  I've tried googling but I can't find any examples of writing a c
> extension to wrap compiled java for ruby.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Jeffery S. Swensen
Software Engineer
Merrill Lextranet
Legal Computer Solutions, Inc.
107 Union Wharf
Boston, MA 02109
t. 617-227-4469 x234
jeff.swensen@merrillcorp.com

THE INFORMATION IN THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF
THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENTS NAMED ABOVE AND MAY CONTAIN LEGALLY PRIVILEGED INFORMATION. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering
it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document
in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by telephone at 617-227-4469 Ext. 200. Thank you.