poi-user mailing list archives

From "Sanjiv Jivan" <sanjiv.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject POI memory usage (redux)
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:52:57 GMT
I'm using poi-2.5.1-final and ran into an issue with POI. Our app gives
users the ability to download spreadsheets and some spreadsheets have ~6000
rows with 10 columns. Also at any time many users could be downloading this
spreadsheet. I set the JVM heap size to the max ( 1.5GB) yet when there are
4 concurrent downloads, the memory footprint is so high that the server runs
out of memory. This happened to us in production today. Also after a
spreadsheet was created with POI, the memory did not appear to be reclaimed
even after a long period of other server activity (where the GC should have
been called since it was pegging close to max memory available).

So my questions are :
1. Given the high memory footprint of excel creation using POI (regardless
of whether its leaking or not), how would you recommend handling this use
case (several users downloading spreadsheets concurrently where spreadsheet
cannot be generated upfront as it needs to reflect the latest user data)

2. Are they any fixes in the SVN / dev builds that a) reduce memory
footprint and / or b) fix memory leaks. If so, can you provide details of
what was fixed and what we can expect as far as footprint / any leaks fixed?

3. Can anyone share their experience with jexcelapi (
http://jexcelapi.sourceforge.net/  <http://jexcelapi.sourceforge.net/> ) -
in particular with reference to
memory footprint

Thanks,