poi-user mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re[4]: Autosizing question:
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:34:17 GMT
TA> I would love if you can elaborate a bit on "units of 1/256th of a character
TA> width of the default font". Is the default font is system specific or same
TA> across excel versions/platforms?

The default font is workbook-specific.  You can get is as follows:

HSSFFont font = workbook.getFontAt((short)0);
There is always one with index 0. On Windows the default is Arial.

TA> Is a specific character is used for width
TA> calculation or we assume fixed width fonts?

I don't know. Arial is default and it is a proportional font and the glyphs have different
width. The phrase "1/256th of a character  width of the default font"
is taken from the xls format spec. It says nothing about the
used characters.

Yegor