poi-user mailing list archives

From "Tahir Akhtar" <ta...@spectrum-tech.com>
Subject RE: Re[4]: Autosizing question:
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:54:54 GMT
> I don't know. Arial is default and it is a proportional font and the
glyphs have different
> width. The phrase "1/256th of a character  width of the default font"
>is taken from the xls format spec. It says nothing about the
>used characters.
After doing a small experiment in excel, my guess is that it uses width of
character "a". I assumed that there only few possible meanings of character
width of default font
1. Width of first character i-e "a"
2. Width of widest character (ruled out through experimentation, character m
is wider than character a in arial but cannot fit)
3. Average width of characters (I think this will not yield any practical
value if implemented so ruled out through guesswork)

Any other guess while we search for definite answer?

Wassalam
Tahir