poi-user mailing list archives

From jaikiran pai <jai_forums2...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Performance of POI-HSSF
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:24:43 GMT
Hi,
We just started using POI-HSSF - Java API To Access Microsoft Excel Format Files. We have
xls files which contain huge amounts of data. While testing out the APIs provided by POI-HSSF,
we observed that the time taken to create a HSSFWorkbook out of a stream, it takes around
6 seconds(the workbook had 1 sheet and 20000 records). Here's the code that we used to load
the xls:

POIFSFileSystem fs1 = new POIFSFileSystem(new FileInputStream("C:\\temp\\New_20000.xls"));
HSSFWorkbook locationsWorkbook1 = new HSSFWorkbook(fs1); //takes 6 seconds.
long end = System.currentTimeMillis();
System.out.println("Time taken to load xls: " + (end-start));

Is there any performance metric available for POI-HSSF. Is there any way that this performance
can be improved. Our xls file contents start from 20000 records and might even run into 200000
records.
  Thank you.
regards,
-Jaikiran