poi-user mailing list archives

From "Chaudhary, Harsh" <HCHAU...@amfam.com>
Subject RE: Use POI to call Excel macro
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:02:53 GMT
The macro copies over some relevant data form the actuary sheets in addition to other stuff.
We use this data as reference data. But the actuary sheet is a peice of crap, i.e. not coded
by a programmer. For example, it updates certain values only when you click on a certain cells
etc. So, from time to time, you have to open up the sheets and click on certain cells to update
the data, particularly date based data. This is what the macro did. Since our servers are
AIX, we can't open sheets there.
No, we cannot get the actuary to change his coding.
End of rant, LOL
Harsh.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Andrews [mailto:pythonaddict@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 11:34 AM
To: POI Users List
Subject: RE: Use POI to call Excel macro

Which IDE do you use? If you use Eclipse and are lucky enough to have the SWT package installed
- I think that it is a part of the core distribution - then you have access to a full set
of classes that make it possible to use OLE to automate Excel and no worries about getting
approval from aonywhere else. That could be one answer to your problem.

Just as an aside, how is the macro used to validate the results during testing? It is possible
to create macros that will run when you open a workbook using Excel for instance. That may
be one possible solution to your problem; create the worksheet using POI then have it validate
itself when it is opened using Excel. Messy but it may work for you.

"Chaudhary, Harsh" <HCHAUDHA@amfam.com> wrote: Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I
don't think I will be able to use it as we have these blessed jars which have to get past
SW Engg. before they can be added to the code base. Oh well, I guess I will have to make my
local box point to the other tiers for testing them.
Harsh.