poi-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Difference between an "area ref" and a "mem area ref"
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:03:50 GMT
Avik Sengupta wrote:
> as I'm sure you've guessed, nobody here knows the answer :(
>
> If excel creates that, the best we can do is implement it in read. For
> writing, i suppose we create an area ref when such a formula is created by
> POI? And if excel reads that fine, I think we are ok. There are various
> places where excel creates certain optimisations while writing, but is
> perfectly happy to read other stuff.

I finally dug up the OpenOffice document, which didn't know the answer
particularly well either.  It seems like it's some kind of precomputed
calculation result holder, for whatever reason.  Turns out I can
completely ignore it and return "" as the formula string and the
resulting formula string comes out as expected.

Maybe a holdover from when computers were too slow to recompute on load. :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd