poi-user mailing list archives

From Anthony Andrews <pythonadd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AW: can we convert excel 95 to excel 97
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:05:37 GMT
Ravi,

This may sound stupid but why not use Excel to do the work for you? All you need to do is
open each document using Excel 97 and then save it again making sure you select the correct
version.

If you only have a few sheets, then you could do this manually, otherwise, why not look at
automating the process using OLE? There are classes contained within the Eclipse SWT package
that make it possible to use Java to control OLE enabled applications. Of course, this means
you would have to get to grips with the Excel object model as you would need to execute 'macro
code' to control the process. However, you could use Excel's macro recorder to help you out
- record the commands necessary to open an Excel95 file and then save it again in Excel97
format. Then use the classes within the OLE package and control the whole process using Java
- opening each file and then saving in the required format all using Excel driven by Java
code.

Somewhere, I do have some code that illustrates how to use these classes and would be happy
to e-mail it to you if you would like - and assuming I can find it all of course. But remember,
Microsoft advise against controlling an OLE enabled application from third party code in this
manner - Excel was not designed to be used in a non-interactive manner; it often relies on
human intervention to solve problems.

Tom Schindl <listom@bestsolution.at> wrote: KHZ (SAW) schrieb:
> Hi Ravi.
>
> There are code snippets which you find in the internet and in the
> documentation (some directory of the installation; as it's some time away
> don't ask me about the exact name).

http://codesnippets.services.openoffice.org/Office/Office.ConvertDocuments.snip

Tom