poi-user mailing list archives

From "KHZ (SAW)" <karl-heinz.zenge...@sawag.com>
Subject AW: How to use POI for reading Excel 2.1 format?
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:06:16 GMT
Hi Suyog.

With OpenOffice.org (OOo) you can do it using Java. Just look at the thread
about how converting from Excel 95 (the version below) which was just 2 days

In your case it's just the other direction (some version above).

Regards,	Karl-Heinz.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Suyog Mahajan [mailto:suyog.mahajan@outworx.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. Juli 2006 12:08
An: poi-user@jakarta.apache.org
Betreff: How to use POI for reading Excel 2.1 format?

I have this requirement of reading and then processing the read data from an
Excel file which is in Excel 2.1 format. I have tried using POI, but my
experience was that POI works well for Excel 97 above, which definitely
excludes Excel 2.1 format. Now there are 2 solutions:
a) Either I convert manually all the excel files into Excel 2000 format by
opening them using MS Office. Which SHOULD NOT be done, because as per
requirement everything needs to be done using Java code.
b) Either find a way using Java to convert the file format, or use a totally
different Java API which might support Excel 2.1 formats. (I have also tried
using JDBC-ODBC DSN for Excel, but it also fails for this old format).

The system I am working on, has office 2000 installed on it, and these excel
files are obtained from external server.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.