poi-user mailing list archives

From "KHZ (SAW)" <karl-heinz.zenge...@sawag.com>
Subject AW: AW: can we convert excel 95 to excel 97
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:12:56 GMT
Hi.

I assumed that the product shall be cost-free (as POI is). I also thought
the same.

In a newer Excel version you have the possibilities of Visual Basic. So you
also have database access etc and that all at the much simpler macro level.

Regards,	Karl-Heinz.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Anthony Andrews [mailto:pythonaddict@yahoo.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 24. Juli 2006 18:06
An: POI Users List
Betreff: Re: AW: can we convert excel 95 to excel 97

Ravi,

This may sound stupid but why not use Excel to do the work for you? All you
need to do is open each document using Excel 97 and then save it again
making sure you select the correct version.

If you only have a few sheets, then you could do this manually, otherwise,
why not look at automating the process using OLE? There are classes
contained within the Eclipse SWT package that make it possible to use Java
to control OLE enabled applications. Of course, this means you would have to
get to grips with the Excel object model as you would need to execute 'macro
code' to control the process. However, you could use Excel's macro recorder
to help you out - record the commands necessary to open an Excel95 file and
then save it again in Excel97 format. Then use the classes within the OLE
package and control the whole process using Java - opening each file and
then saving in the required format all using Excel driven by Java code.

Somewhere, I do have some code that illustrates how to use these classes and
would be happy to e-mail it to you if you would like - and assuming I can
find it all of course. But remember, Microsoft advise against controlling an
OLE enabled application from third party code in this manner - Excel was not
designed to be used in a non-interactive manner; it often relies on human
intervention to solve problems.

Tom Schindl <listom@bestsolution.at> wrote: KHZ (SAW) schrieb:
> Hi Ravi.
>
> There are code snippets which you find in the internet and in the
> documentation (some directory of the installation; as it's some time away
> don't ask me about the exact name).

http://codesnippets.services.openoffice.org/Office/Office.ConvertDocuments.s
nip

Tom