poi-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Turn off warning in POI
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:13:18 GMT
Chaudhary, Harsh wrote:
> Like you pointed out, I care for just the results of a formula and not
> the formaula itself.
>
> But just out of curiosity, how do you go about fixing and debugging
> something like this. I don't think the debugger is a good place as the
> sheet representation is usually very large.
> Also, if the cells which contain the formula are not recognized or
> handeled by POI, what can I do in :
> 1. POI 2. The excel sheet
> to take care of this?
> Its not something I need to know urgently, but I am very interested to
> know.

To take one example, we found that % signs in formulas weren't handled
by POI, and were causing a large number of warnings (formulas such as
A3*10% are remarkably common when spreadsheets are being used for
taxation or interest calculations.)

So we had to implement a PercentPtg class, which turned out to be fairly
simple.  Code also had to be added to Ptg.java to create the PercentPtg
object when the ID matched PercentPtg.sid.

Cell reference code may be harder (or more interesting) than percent
formulas, but existing classes like Ref3DPtg can probably go a long way
toward figuring out what code is needed.  The hardest part is figuring
out how "big" the Ptg is (PercentPtg was 1, Ref3DPtg is 7, etc), for
which you would need to refer to whatever format documentation you can
dig up.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll