poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: HSLF getting text from each slide in sequence
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 11:13:04 GMT
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Mihali A. Felipe wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to POI and am getting a little perplexed. I'm trying to do
> something seemingly simple - getting text from each slide in sequence
> while keeping track of which slide the text is from. However, the slides
> do not show up in sequence (and it seems like some slides are repeated
> e.g. try it on
> http://www.gersteinlab.org/lectures/ppt/A2K-at-Yale-20060422.ppt).

> Also, I don't know where/how to get the real slide number.

Alas, nor do we. Each core record (Document, Slide, Notes, MainMaster etc)
has a unique ID. This ID is used by the PersistPtr stuff, so it can look
up that ID to an actual record in the file. This same number is also used
to link a Notes back to its Slide.

I'd assumed that this number might bear some relation to the slide
ordering. It turns out that the numbering is based on the order the slides
were added in, and when you re-order, it isn't updated.

So, until we can figure out where PowerPoint does store the slide
ordering, we can't return the slides in that order.

If you can find another open source powerpoint reader (that isn't
OpenOffice, since that has brain hurting code) that does get the slides in
the right order, can you let us know? We can then take a look through
their code, and try to figure out what record / records are used for the
slide ordering.

> P.S. Why does getSheetNumber() keep giving me -1?

On a recent SVN checkout, it should give you one higher than the
slide's position in the array of slides. Are you sure you have a recent
enough copy of POI?

Nick