poi-user mailing list archives

From "Manjula G \(manjg\)" <ma...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: How can i fill the template(word doc) from java program
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 15:11:18 GMT
The template is in the word document & the final output should be in the
word document only.So I cannot be using Excel files to achive the same.I
would want something which can read the word document & fill in the
required data in the given template dynamically.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Shumway [mailto:Andrew.Shumway@issinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 7:15 PM
To: 'POI Users List'
Subject: RE: How can i fill the template(word doc) from java program

There is a way to do this with Excel files.  Like the approach you
mention, it uses the Jakarta.poi project's HSSF (excel counterpart to
the word HWFP) utilities.

However, we also use the open-source http://jxls.sourceforge.net/
project which defines the template metatags and actually does all of the
file reading, manipulation and serialization.

So, I'm confident that poi's HSSF can be used to do this but developing
enough structure in a free-form word document as well as the
meta-tagging could be a challenge

--andrew shumway