poi-user mailing list archives

From "Marx, Stefan ext. MA Fa. Lynx" <Stefan.Marxext.MAFa.L...@rewe.de>
Subject AW: Large files and the OutOfMemoryError
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:32:36 GMT
Hi Rodrigo,

if I may quote myself (experienced exceptions in searching the
mailing list archiv):

due to the wired BIFF format I reached the out-of-memory quite
soon, too.
There are small RAM ressources at my client side and I use the
hack to send a bytestream with tab separation between the fields,
store it with a *.xls extention so Excel open it with the data correct
in columns. Doing it this way I'll lose all formatting but I'm able to
display more the 20.000 records from the DB2 tables. Beyond the
max. of 65.535 recs. Excel display no more lines in a file.
I also  made an outline to stream the data in blocks or serveral
files, but that solution is to time consuming in my enviroment.

An other tactic may be avoid fancy formatting and reuse the
POI object as heavly a possible.

hth, cu Stefan