poi-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryError opening a password-protected Word document
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:08:12 GMT
Donahue, Michael wrote:
> You may want to try increasing your memory to see if the issue goes away.
> The JVM parameters I use are "-Xms256m -Xmx512m".  You could also try
> decrypting / un-protecting your workbook long enough to see if you are
> really hitting the decrypting / un-protect issue you mentioned.  Maybe you
> just have a large workbook.

My memory is actually already set to -Xmx512m (our application requires
this sort of memory limit for exactly this sort of reason) and the DOC
file is only about 170kB (I've opened and extracted text from 8MB DOC
files without any issues in the past couple of days.)

The test .doc file on the bug tracker gives NegativeArraySizeException,
which may even be the same issue: creating an array with -5 elements
versus creating an array with a billion elements... both fairly likely
to happen with scrambled data.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Australia Pty Ltd
Suite 79, 89 Jones St, Ultimo NSW 2007, Australia
Phone: (02) 9280 0699
Fax:   (02) 9212 6902