poi-user mailing list archives

From Anthony Andrews <pythonadd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [poi] Column --> Autofit selection
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:37:40 GMT
There is another way if you are wiling to go to  the trouble. It is possible using the FontMetrics
class to discover the  length of a String with some accuracy. This technique will also  compensate
for different fonts/font sizes and could overcome the  problem Christian notes under point
a) in his reply. Be prepared for a  performance hit if you use this technique as you will
be creating and  destroying quite a number of different objects.

  Aside from this, I would do EXACTLY what Christian advises.

Christian Gosch <c.gosch@inovex.de> wrote:  We do the hard work way:

We just track every value we enter resp. its length as a String and hold an
array/list with an entry for the max. length (that is char count) of every
column. After filling of the sheet is complete, we go through the columns
and set every column width according to its matching measure. For this we
use a factor based on advice by POI, currently 256. This cuts longer texts
(hides the last chars), but works for usual cases.

In fact this is a bit ugly, since...
(a) the calculated length does not really handle cases like "iiiii" vs.
"WWWWW" with proportional fonts, witch would in turn require to calculate
the "real" (optical) width of the textual content based on font metrics data
:-( But Excel is not very good in doing this job also :-)
(b) *of course* it would be fine to have just an option associated with the
column that says "auto-fit". But as far as I can see, Excel does simply not
provide that: In fact it seems that Excel calculates the optimal width just
on (dialogue user) demand and sets the actual result of this computation as
new column width. :-(

hth,
--cg

On Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:14 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Thomas.Laengle@sealedair.com  wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I try to define the layout of columns in POI.
> Is there a way in POI to set the column to the optimal width?
> In Excel you can achieve this by hand: Format-->Column-->Autofit
> Selection. Does POI provide a  method doing the same?
>
> What I know is how to set a default width:
> ###
> HSSFSheet sheet = wb.createSheet("Test");
> sheet.setDefaultColumnWidth((short)20);
> ###
>
> Is there a smarter way?
> Many thanks in advanced!