poi-user mailing list archives

From Anthony Andrews <pythonadd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: problem moving cells
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:56:48 GMT
Thanks for that; I did not know that it was  possible to use two or more different fonts within
a cell under  Excel97. The reason I replied is that a similar question was asked on a  different
board and the consensus was that the Biff8 format did not  support this feature, seems we
were wrong. That means that I am  stumped, cannot think why it should not be possible under
HSSF but also  cannot think how you would do it as the formatting info is applied to a  cell.
There is no way - at least that I am aware of - to select just a  portion of the cells contents
and modify that.

pelican <pelican5699@hotmail.com> wrote:  Hi,

I don't know about how to solve the problem.
But just as a comment, the different format for 100 and 50 in a cell is able
to do in Microsoft Excel 97 version.
This is new to me too.

rgds,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Andrews"

To: "POI Users List"

Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: problem moving cells

> Hello Paul
>
>   I could very well be wrong but I think the problem lies in the version
of Excel that HSSF uses to write the output file. HSSF uses, I think, a
file format that conforms to that employed by Excel 97 - quite an old
version now - to ensure the maximum compatibility. Well, the ability to
have more than one format or font treatment applied to the contents of  a
single cell is a more recent introduction. So, it is simply because  HSSF
writes the output file in a format that supports only a single
font/treatment for the contents of a cell that is causing you this  problem
in my opinion.

>   Have to say that I have absolutly no idea how you are going to get
around the porblem if this is the case. Sorry.

> Paul Rivera
 wrote:  Hi!  I'm having problems
moving cells.  For instance, I have a cell with the value:

>   100 50
>
>   With "100" being striked-through.   Let's say I want to move  this cell
from 0 to 1.  After calling setCellNum(), the values  will now be in cell 1.
But both 100 and 50 will now be  striked-through.  Only 100 should be
striked-through.

>  I  have attached my sample java application and a sample input/output
excel file.  It is but a fraction of the real excel file I'm  working on.
I'm using poi 3.0 on windows 2000 professional.