poi-user mailing list archives

From Nishant Chandra <nishant.chan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How do I read formula values??
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:05:16 GMT

Amol Deshmukh <adeshmukh <at> hobsons-us.com> writes:

> Nishant,
>
> Can you give more details as to what you mean by "read in
> calculated value". Maybe a snippet of your code would
> help better understand what you are attempting. I think
> I understand what you are attempting but code says it
> so much better than words - so if you can please post
> the relevant code...
>
> Regards,
> ~ amol
>
> PS: If I understand you right, what you are trying
> should be possible by foll code:
>   // initialize HSSFFormulaEvaluator "evaluator"
>   CellValue cv = evaluator.evaluate(cell);
>
>   // switch() on cv type and call appropriate
>   // ...cv.getXYZValue() method and call setCellValue(..)
>
> ...But this approach wont work with current version,
> since:
>  1. (see BUG 35288)
>  2. HSSFFormulaEvaluator is still in development, it
> workfs for a limited set of formulas only.

Amol,
The formula I am using is an add on formula (Bloomberg Formula)
and isnt a built in function in excel. So when I manually
open the file and validate the formula (in the cell),
I immediately get the values. But when I read the value
(using getcellvalue), I only retrieve the formula which I wrote.

Formula is not evaluated just on opening the file
(wich is the case with built in functions). The problem
is that I have to manually validate the formula in the
cell. It then immediately gives me the values.

I also went through the formula evaluator api
which you mention. But there is no implementation
of the formula as you mentioned. So is there any
alternative to this?

I hope this explains the problem, or else I can
send the POI written excel file
and you may just understand the problem.

nishant