poi-user mailing list archives

From James Chaney <ja...@webdesignteks.com>
Subject HSSF class not found errors
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:46:02 GMT
Question on setting up POI to use HSSF - I have downloaded
poi-2.5.1-final-20040804 and added it to my ClassPath variable. I then
create a java file with the following:

package org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel;
import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook;

And when I try to compile it I get the following errors:
  cannot resolve symbol
  class HSSFWorbook
  package usermodel
  import org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.HSSFWorbook; (I get the same
error for all the imports org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.* - just listed
the one)

If I remove the package and import statements the rest of my java code
compiiles just fine. Can you please tell me what I may be doing wrong? I
have explained the top part in short in recommendation from the jakarta
site - here is my actual code:

package org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel;

import java.io.FileInputStream;
import java.io.FileOutputStream;

import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFCell;
import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFRow;
import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFSheet;
import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook;
import org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem;

public class WriteExcel
{
  private static String filename = "C:\\temp\\sales.xls";
  public static void main(String[] args)
  {
      try
      {
                System.out.println(
              "Demonstration of programmatic manipulation of " +
              "Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet via the Apache POI API.");
                    // open the Excel Spreadsheet
          POIFSFileSystem fs =
              new POIFSFileSystem(new FileInputStream(filename));
          HSSFWorkbook hssfworkbook = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);
                     // grab the first sheet
          HSSFSheet sheet = hssfworkbook.getSheetAt(0);
            // grab the appropriate cell we want to manipulate
          // cell B2 maps to Row 1, Column 1
          HSSFRow row = sheet.getRow(1);
          HSSFCell cell = row.getCell((short)1);
                    // if the cell we want is not created, create
it                  if (cell == null)
              cell = row.createCell((short)1);
            // set the cell type.  In this case, our cell is numeric
          cell.setCellType(HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_NUMERIC);
            // set the cell's value
          cell.setCellValue(89000.00);
                // Write the output to a file
          FileOutputStream fileOut = new FileOutputStream(filename);
          hssfworkbook.write(fileOut);
            // Close the file
          fileOut.close();
               }