poi-user mailing list archives

From "KHZ (SAW)" <karl-heinz.zenge...@sawag.com>
Subject AW: Reading XLS zip code +4 cells
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:53:14 GMT
Hi Matt.

Why don't you use strings?

Your format obviously is interpreted as a numeric format. So leading
zeros get lost. If you want to keep on with your solution you'll have to
format the resulting number to a string corresponding to your format
again.

Regards,	Karl-Heinz.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Matt Tucker [mailto:mtucker@thoughtbot.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 3. Juni 2005 17:41
An: poi-user@jakarta.apache.org
Betreff: Reading XLS zip code +4 cells

Hello,

I'm reading data from an XLS sheet using POI. One of the columns
contains data in the Excel Zip Code + 4 format. However, the values that

are being returned are not in the correct format. For example, a zip
code value of 00009-4612 is being returned as 94612. After trying a
bunch of different things, here's a snippet of what I'm doing now:

HSSFCellStyle zipStyle = hssfworkbook.createCellStyle();
zipStyle.setDataFormat(format.getFormat("00000-0000"));
HSSFCell c = row.getCell(zipCol);
c.setCellStyle(zipStyle);
if (cellType == HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_NUMERIC)
{
    Double D = new Double(c.getNumericCellValue());
    Integer I = new Integer(D.intValue());

    double d = D.doubleValue();
    int i = I.intValue();

    if(d > i)
    {
        returnString = D.toString();
    }

    returnString = I.toString();
}
else if (cellType == HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_STRING) returnString =
c.getStringCellValue();
else if (cellType == HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_FORMULA) returnString =
c.getCellFormula();

I know I'm probably doing something very, very wrong so if someone could

point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

--

Matt Tucker
thoughtbot

cell: 617 775 0742