poi-user mailing list archives

From "Sharma, Siddharth" <Siddharth.Sha...@Staples.com>
Subject RE: Timeout?
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 14:59:24 GMT
After you set the response headers (such as cookies or mime type), you may
have to explicitly flush the output stream. Your page buffer size default
(8K I believe in most cases) may be larger for auto flush to work in your
case.

If it's your infrastructure (web server/proxy server/servlet
container/router...) timeout setting (most likely) that is causing the HTTP
connection to timeout after 1 minute, and you cannot change that setting,
you may implement a 'progress bar' page to solve this.
This is the kind that states on the web page something like
"We're workin' baby!!".
And when the real response is ready, it is flushed down the pipe.
I am sure you can scrape a zillion and one implementations from the web to
get this to work.
Or you can always implement the email delivery solution that you spoke of.

Needless to add, this is not a POI issue. You are probably better of
discussing this in an HTTP or similar forum.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thompson, Marshall [mailto:Marshall_Thompson@PremierInc.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:30 AM
To: 'POI Users List'
Subject: RE: Timeout?

No proxy in between.

This happens with both IE and Firefox as the browser. I've tried several
things, none of which solved the issue: excel is not returned to browser if
processing server-side takes more than 60 seconds.

Things I tried:
1. Set response headers first. I set content type, but I can't set content
length until I create the spreadsheet (takes 60+ seconds). No luck.
2. add a cookie every 10 seconds or so, hoping that would somehow keep the
connection alive. No luck.
3. Saved the excel to server file system before streaming it back to
browser, does not solve the time issue.
4. I wrote my own client that connects via http to the url that would return
an excel, it has the same 60 second issue.

Elsewhere have seen suggestions that setting content length up front is the
way to go. But, I don't know the content length until I spend the 60+
seconds creating the content.

I may have to resort to having the user enter their email address on the web
page and mailing the excel to them when it is finished. Most requests take a
few seconds, the 60+ second request is an exception.