poi-user mailing list archives

From Amol Deshmukh <adeshm...@hobsons-us.com>
Subject RE: POIFSFileSystem and network problem
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:55:04 GMT

>From what I could figure out, you are able to upload a file via web-app
to a server and it opens fine on the server file system but you have
problems when you try to access the excel file over the network via your
web-app.

I dont know where POI fits in all of this but...
it may be because of the way you are streaming the file to the
browser from your web-app. There was a long discussion on the list
about someone having problems streaming the file via a JSP but it
worked when a servlet was used instead.

If this is not your problem, can you describe the nature of your
problem better? (What steps you perform and what problem do you
get when you try  to "open" the file: Exception, client side
error etc. Also what do you mean by "open the file": open it in
excel or read it using POI)

~ amol

-----Original Message-----
From: David W. Brown [mailto:dwbrown@webitplanet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:22 AM
To: poi-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: POIFSFileSystem and network problem

Hello POI/HSSF gurus, I have been using POI/HSSF for about a week: great
stuff!I have built a small inventory app (Tomcat/servlet/jsp) that runs as
expected on the localhost machine. if I open the input Excel file locally
all-is-well. But if I attempt to access the web app over the network
all-is-well until I try to open the input Excel file. I am using the HTML:
<input type=file tag. I understand the problems in opening a file in the
manner previously described. Does the POIFSFileSystem have classes and
methods to access files over a LAN? I will gladly accept any: rant, rave or
remedy. Please advise, David.