poi-user mailing list archives

From Georgios Samaritakis <samar...@ics.forth.gr>
Subject Re: Downloaded POI-Trying to integrate HWPF
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:50:14 GMT
O/H David W. Brown έγραψε:

>Hello Georgios, I have not worked with the HWPF but I do have some experience with POI/HSSF.
I not a POI expert but I am a Java expert. I found the going with POI a lot easier if you
just opt for the POI binary download as opposed the building from the POI source and creating
your own jar files. Once you get the POI HWPF binary (zip for Windows and tar for UNIX) you
should be able to get you standalone java class executable to work. It appears you understand
Java packages and how to import them. You will need to edited your code to reflect the import
of the POI packages. As an example I have create a small POI/HSSF standalone and the following
are the imports I use for POI/HSSF. The imports for POI/HWPF should be similar. HTH, David.

>import org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem;
>import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFCell;
>import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFSheet;
>import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook;
>import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFRow;
>
>Georgios Samaritakis wrote ..
>

>>Hello all
>>
>>I've just downloaded POI 2.5.1. I want an API to work with Word files so
>>the next step would be to download HWPF. Well I'm not sure what to do next.
>> I'm supposed to get some files from a CVS or something and then build
>>new POI jar file??? It all sounds Greek to me ;)... Anyway could someone
>>explain to me in plain English how to make HWPF work for me?
>>
>>P.S. I would like to be able to write a program like tha following that
>>works (tried using textmining...):
>>
>>import java.lang.*;
>>import java.io.*;
>>
>>class hello {
>>    public static void main(String[] args) {
>>    FileInputStream in = new FileInputStream ("test.doc");
>>WordExtractor extractor = new WordExtractor();
>>
>>String str = extractor.extractText();
>>        System.out.println(str); //Display the string.
>>    }
>>}

David thanks for your response. The problem is that I cannot locate the
"POI HWPF binary (zip for Windows and tar for UNIX)". HWPF is in alpha
stage and you have to get the files one by one! Has anyone else done
that before? Has anyone created a working HWPF library?