poi-user mailing list archives

From "David W. Brown" <dwbr...@webitplanet.com>
Subject RE: POIFSFileSystem and network problem
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:51:01 GMT
Hello Amol, thanks for the speedy reply. I apologize for the lack of clarity. To clear things
up I am running 100% all Java (Tomcat servlet server). I am reading and wrinting Excel SS
files (only) using the POI HSSF classes. I do not execute the Excel application at anytime.
The web application I have built using the POI jars is a client-server type http web application
running strictly within the confines of a browser. When the application I have build is executed
where the client and server are the same machine then: all-is-well. If I access the web app
server using a remote client machine on same network (diagram follows) the web application
will execute OK but I am no longer able browse the file system for the target XLS file and
read the file data via POI/HSSF because the system complains that the file cannot be found.
Please advise and thanks in advance, David.

                NET ZONE (PUBLIC)

                      eth0 (PUBLIC ROUTABLE IP)
                ----------------
                | Linux Router | (SERVER: multple protocols)
                ----------------
         (192.168.1.1) eth1
                      -----

                ----------------
                 192.168.1.0/24 (masq/SNAT)
                ----------------
                /       |       \
               /        |        \
              /         |         \
             /          |          \
      192.168.1.2  192.168.1.3   192.168.1.4

The target application in question runs OK on the (dot).2 machine when the client (browser)
and server (Tomcat) are one and the same machine. If an attempt is made to access the POI/HSSF
based application from say: the (dot).3 or (dot).4 machine the application runs OK but then
the System complains the target file (Excel XLS) cannot be found when the target XLS file
is browsed remotely. Please advise, David

Amol Deshmukh wrote ..