poi-user mailing list archives

From "Hamu, Dave" <Dave.H...@Avnet.com>
Subject RE: POIFSFileSystem and network problem
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:02:32 GMT
This is a file system issue.  If you want to make an Excel file residing
on a UNIX box accessible to a browser, you need to stream the file to
the UI, or you need to use some sort of tool that will make the UNIX
file system accessible by a Windows box.

-----Original Message-----
From: David W. Brown [mailto:dwbrown@webitplanet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:51 PM
To: POI Users List
Subject: RE: POIFSFileSystem and network problem

Hello Amol, thanks for the speedy reply. I apologize for the lack of
clarity. To clear things up I am running 100% all Java (Tomcat servlet
server). I am reading and wrinting Excel SS files (only) using the POI
HSSF classes. I do not execute the Excel application at anytime. The web
application I have built using the POI jars is a client-server type http
web application running strictly within the confines of a browser. When
the application I have build is executed where the client and server are
the same machine then: all-is-well. If I access the web app server using
a remote client machine on same network (diagram follows) the web
application will execute OK but I am no longer able browse the file
system for the target XLS file and read the file data via POI/HSSF
because the system complains that the file cannot be found. Please
advise and thanks in advance, David.

                NET ZONE (PUBLIC)

                      eth0 (PUBLIC ROUTABLE IP)
                ----------------
                | Linux Router | (SERVER: multple protocols)
                ----------------
         (192.168.1.1) eth1
                      -----

                ----------------
                 192.168.1.0/24 (masq/SNAT)
                ----------------
                /       |       \
               /        |        \
              /         |         \
             /          |          \
            /           |           \
      192.168.1.2  192.168.1.3   192.168.1.4

The target application in question runs OK on the (dot).2 machine when
the client (browser) and server (Tomcat) are one and the same machine.
If an attempt is made to access the POI/HSSF based application from say:
the (dot).3 or (dot).4 machine the application runs OK but then the
System complains the target file (Excel XLS) cannot be found when the
target XLS file is browsed remotely. Please advise, David

Amol Deshmukh wrote ..