poi-user mailing list archives

From "KHZ (SAW)" <karl-heinz.zenge...@sawag.com>
Subject AW: AW: large xls files
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:58:24 GMT
Hi Mike.

It sounds like a POI bug.

But this could also be a result of software not fitting together. As
it's not running on two platforms the latter case or overload problems
in one system seem less likely.

You could look for similar questions in the archive or the bug list. Ad
hoc I don't remember such an error.

Regards,	Karl-Heinz.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Mike Serra [mailto:mserra@iwu.edu]
Gesendet: Montag, 21. Februar 2005 17:47
An: POI Users List
Betreff: Re: AW: large xls files

I have found the problem line, and it is this:

workbook = new HSSFWorkbook(fileIn);

The debugger steps into this line, and doesn't come out of it.
"Top" reports 98% CPU usage (I'm running linux 2.6), but this also
happens on WinXP.
So, it sounds like an infinite loop, but, why would something loop
infinitely for large files,
but work fine for small ones?
I should also note that this is not on or off behavior - for a medium
sized file, the load takes a medium amount of time, say, thirty
seconds.  But enlarge the file, and load time quickly grows to
infinite.  It's as if the load time increases exponentially.