poi-user mailing list archives

From Lea Thurman <lea.thur...@onesoon.co.uk>
Subject Re: AW: Can I use POI within an App Server to read an XLS and then display it in the browser
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:30:49 GMT
Andre Schild <a.schild <at> aarboard.ch> writes:

> > However is is possible to use POI to read an excel file
> > display its contents
> > via a webserver, allow entry of data and then read the data
> > in order to save
> > to a db?
>
> Doing this is possible:
>
> 1. Have a multipart form for the fileupload to the server
> 2. Read the content it with POI (or xlsjdbc)
> 3. Display the content in the browser as form/table
> 4. Save the content of the submitted form to the database.
>
> POI is only involved in step 2, all other steps are normal JSP/Struts
> or whatever technology.
>
> André

Andre,

Thanks for your reply.

I am very interested in your last comment. I omitted to mention that when I
read and display the .xls file I need to render it in the browser so that all
the functions work and within an instance of an embedded Excel application.

The real crux of my problem is how to get access to the information and the
resulting calculations that the user has performed in this spreadsheet since I
am assuming the spreadsheet needs to be an embedded OLE object? If I use a
form/table I will loose the functions and the Excel functionality?

Regards
Lea.