poi-user mailing list archives

From "Kashikar, Yogita (SSD Technology) " <Yogita_Kashi...@ml.com>
Subject RE: Reading value from formula cell
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:22:38 GMT
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.
I am creating the spread sheet and creating a cell as stated in previous
message.
As a second step( after creating the spread sheet and saving in excel
file) I am opening the excel file and re-reading the formula cell. This
read is always returning me 0.0.
What could be the problem with this ?
Is teher any alternate way to read value from formula cell.

Thanks,
Yogita.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Nelson [mailto:tnelson@starpoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 3:17 PM
To: POI Users List
Subject: Re: Reading value from formula cell

Quoting Yogita <yogita_kashikar@ml.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I am facing difficulties while reading formula cell values with POI
version
> 2.5.
>
> I have created formula cell as follows:
> 			cell.setCellType(HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_FORMULA);
> 			cell.setCellFormula("SUM(D8..F8)");
>
> And I am reading it as follow:
>    double formulaCellValue = row.getCell((short)
7).getNumericCellValue();

> When read this way(using getNumericCellValue()), I am always getting
the
> value
> of 0.0.
>
> Any quick help in this regard would be highly appriciated.

POI does not evaluate formulas.  Excel does that.

POI simply puts the forumla in the cell.   In order to get a value, you
would
have to create the spreadsheet, open it in excel, and then re-read it
with
POI.

This was discussed in detail less than two weeks ago on the list.
Please read
the archives.

This email message from Starpoint Solutions LLC is for the sole use of
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
message.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
that do not relate to the official business of Starpoint Solutions shall
be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.