poi-user mailing list archives

From <David.Ventimig...@wellsfargo.com>
Subject RE: poi hssf translate column numbers to letters
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:40:35 GMT
Ok, no problem.  I was just wondering if there was already a handy function somewhere in the
object model to do it automagically.  Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Cheshire [mailto:ccheshire@bigredwire.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 1:31 PM
To: POI Users List
Subject: Re: poi hssf translate column numbers to letters

The columns are the numerical position of the letter in the alphabet
minus 1 (for the 0 indexing of the columns and rows into arrays), for
the single letter codes, then adding 26 for each iteration of the double
lettering.

I have a sheet handy when I am writing code for formulae that has the
column numbers and letters to make it easier. Just

0  A
1  B
2  C
3  D
26 AA
52 BA
78 CA
etc.

HTH

Chris
David.Ventimiglia@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, thank you thank you thank you for creating POI.  It really is terrific.
>
> However, I have a question.  How do I get the Excel column "letter" for a column?  I
think I need it to set formulas (e.g. "SUM(A2:A3)"), but HSSF seems to assume columns are
created and referenced numberically.  How do I get from POI/HSSF the fact that column #25
is the same as column "AA" (I think...I might be off by one, but you get the picture)?  Thanks!!