poi-user mailing list archives

From Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>
Subject Re: POIBrowser Woes and a Suggestion
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:58:09 GMT
Am Freitag, den 21.01.2005, 21:59 +0000 schrieb PJD:
> Some time ago I tried unsuccessfully :(  to get poibrowser running on my suse
> linux box.  The problem wasn't with poibrowser but more to do with the fact
> that I am not a java programmer and I couldn't really justify more time than
> just a brief (but painful) skirmish in trying to get it all working.
>
> However, despite a prolonged search I have not come across another app' that
> can do what poibrowser does and in that sense I would say that poibrowser is
> a pretty unique bit of software (even though I haven't seen it working).
>
> I haven't solved the problem that I initially wanted to use poibrowser for
> (which was to discover a bit of forensic information on a Word Doc) and
> although needing to study the anatomy of an MS Office Document is not
> something that crops up often, when it does crop up there aren't really many
> choices out there.
>
> How easy or difficult would it be for someone skilled in the art to put a
> version of poibrowser on the internet that could be accessed and run through
> a web browser.  I am thinking along the lines of , visit the poibrowser
> website, upload an MS Office File, let poibrowser unpack all the data streams
> and display the results in the web browser.
>
> This would be a useful utility for those who may need to occassionly look into
> an MS Office File (forensic community) but would also act as a great
> technology demonstrator for the POI project.  Maybe even generate some good
> publicity too.
>
> PJ

When I wrote poibrowser I did so just for developing HPSF. Therefore it
interprets and displays the contents of property streams only. Other
streams are not shown except for their size and the bytes they begin
with. Poibrowser also has a rather crude user interface.

I'd like to invite Java programmers to enhance poibrowser by more
features and donate them to the POI project.

For those who aren't Java programmers and still want to run poibrowser I
might include a short documentation in the POI documentation how to get
it running. In short, its like this:

java -classpath poi-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar:poi-contrib-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar org.apache.poi.contrib.poibrowser.POIBrowser
MyWord.doc MyExcel.xls MyPowerpoint.ppt

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  K├Ârner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

Inhibit software patents: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/