poi-user mailing list archives

From "Andre Schild" <a.sch...@aarboard.ch>
Subject AW: AW: Can I use POI within an App Server to read an XLS and then display it in the browser
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:02:57 GMT
Hello Lea,

> I am very interested in your last comment. I omitted to
> mention that when I
> read and display the .xls file I need to render it in the
> browser so that all
> the functions work and within an instance of an embedded
> Excel application.
>
> The real crux of my problem is how to get access to the
> information and the
> resulting calculations that the user has performed in this
> spreadsheet since I
> am assuming the spreadsheet needs to be an embedded OLE
> object? If I use a
> form/table I will loose the functions and the Excel functionality?

What you want is to have a full excel in the webbrowser.
This can't be done by POI.

One way to do such a thing is to use excel embedded in a webpage.
But that's a active-x specific stuff and so will only work when the
following conditions are meet:

- Browser is internet explorer 5.x or 6.x on Windows (No Mac and Linux)
- Excel is installed on the maschine where the browser is running

Another way would be to use a product like: http://www.exceleverywhere.com/

André