poi-user mailing list archives

From "Bruce Houghton" <bhou...@globalserve.net>
Subject WebServer and .xls
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:08:40 GMT
To all,

To begin with, is there a way to retrieve old posts?
If so, the problem I'm having, I get an
"ExceptionInIntializerError".
There are a couple of examples of Applets reading
.xls files from a WebServer on the Internet which
I have looked at, and work fine
For example; http://javasheet.sourceforge.net/Applet.html
Also(I use JBuilder) running the Applet from my
test environment works fine.
After much thought and discussions on other
forums, I'm starting to believe that the problem
is with System Properties and poi-hssf itself.
I was wondering;
I have Windows XP Professional, SP2. Is there
something in IE that is stopping me from doing this?

1.With a trace, I have determined that the file.xls is being received at the Applet
2.I am able to print out the header of the file.xls
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Zeus/4.2
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:01:39 GMT
1992704
bytes
application/msexcel
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:51:08 GMT

Here is what I get...

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
     This error happens when I try to create the workbook.
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException:
       access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission poi.deserialize.escher read)
I think this is the real problem. Some kind of an Access Denied trying to
use the "poi.deserialize"(what ever that means)

Bruce Houghton