poi-user mailing list archives

From "KHZ (SAW)" <karl-heinz.zenge...@sawag.com>
Subject AW: AW: Can I use POI within an App Server to read an XLS and then display it in the browser
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:45:04 GMT
Hi Lea.

POI reads Excel files on a binary level. There are no libraries or COM
objects or ... between. So the lib emulates to be Excel at the level of
binary data although it isn't Excel.

You want to use ActiveX objects in your web page. This way you start the
Excel application using a COM object. In past projects we also used this
way using ASP/VB. I think our administrator had a lot of work until it
worked and there were constellations where processed had to be
cancelled.

Using Java it might be a complicated way e.g. using JNI with all its
performance disadvantages.

Regards,	Karl-Heinz.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] Im Auftrag von Lea Thurman
Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Januar 2005 11:31
An: poi-user@jakarta.apache.org
Betreff: Re: AW: Can I use POI within an App Server to read an XLS and
then display it in the browser

Andre Schild <a.schild <at> aarboard.ch> writes:

> > However is is possible to use POI to read an excel file
> > display its contents
> > via a webserver, allow entry of data and then read the data
> > in order to save
> > to a db?
>
> Doing this is possible:
>
> 1. Have a multipart form for the fileupload to the server
> 2. Read the content it with POI (or xlsjdbc)
> 3. Display the content in the browser as form/table
> 4. Save the content of the submitted form to the database.
>
> POI is only involved in step 2, all other steps are normal JSP/Struts
> or whatever technology.
>
> André

Andre,

Thanks for your reply.

I am very interested in your last comment. I omitted to mention that
when I
read and display the .xls file I need to render it in the browser so
that all
the functions work and within an instance of an embedded Excel
application.

The real crux of my problem is how to get access to the information and
the
resulting calculations that the user has performed in this spreadsheet
since I
am assuming the spreadsheet needs to be an embedded OLE object? If I use
form/table I will loose the functions and the Excel functionality?

Regards
Lea.