poi-user mailing list archives

From "Sharma, Siddharth" <Siddharth.Sha...@Staples.com>
Subject RE: help: i need to read an xls template file in a web applicatio n
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:09:45 GMT
All the production systems I have seen, they are exploded during deployment.
But of course I have not seen them all.

Anyway, it's a requirement thing. If you want clients to provide xls files,
then obviously, they should be uploaded to a file server and not to a
deployed application.
If you are using the excel file as a template for some excel reports, then
it makes sense to package it as part of the ear.

It's a matter of choice. Hunter believes he has more flexibility with
storing a file path and using the File API to load the xls file.
I prefer the ClassLoader since it abstracts the file location from code.

Using the ClassLoader to load files or using the File API directly to load
files using a path, is not a matter of discussion in this mailing list.

Folks, sorry for the cross-postings

-----Original Message-----
From: Pravin Pillai [mailto:Pravin.Pillai@neoforma.com]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 2:00 PM
To: POI Users List
Subject: RE: help: i need to read an xls template file in a web application

If it is exploded, then u cant really call it an EAR.
I don't think, in production systems, u have exploded deployments.
So Hunter Ren's suggestion is the best one
"
What I did is, i store the path to the file into a property file, and
the application get this path when it's initialized. I like to put the
templates out of the war or ear file, so that i could update those
templates without redeploy the application.
"
Also, lets say u choose to go the exploded way. If the client has his
own templates or if the client is allowed to modify the existing
templates, would u want the client to be playing around amongst ur
deployed files. Not safe, I would say.